Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche
Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche (Wyl. chos kyi nyi ma rin po che) (b.1951) — as the oldest son of Kyabjé Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche was recognized at 18 months of age as the seventh incarnation of Gar Drubchen, a Drikung Kagyü master and an emanation of Nagarjuna. Soon after, he was enthroned at his predecessor’s monastery, Drong Gon Tubten Dargye Ling Monastery, in Nakchukha, Central Tibet.
At the age of 13, he entered Rumtek Monastery and spent the next eleven years studying the Karma Kagyü, Drikung Kagyü and Nyingma traditions under the guidance of the 16th Gyalwang Karmapa, Kyabjé Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Kyabjé Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and other eminent masters. Before leaving Rumtek, Rinpoche successfully completed the coursework set out for tulkus.
In 1974, Tulku Chökyi Nyima was instructed by the Karmapa to help his father to establish a monastery in the Kathmandu Valley. He also advised Rinpoche to turn his efforts towards instructing western practitioners. Rinpoche has a good command of the English language, and has been instructing a growing number of western students in meditation practice since 1977.
- Bardo Guidebook, Rangjung Yeshe Publications, Nepal, 1991 ISBN 9627341118
- The Song of Karmapa: Aspiration of the Mahamudra of True Meaning by Lord Rangjung Dorje, Rangjung Yeshe Publications, Nepal, 1992 ISBN 9627341142
- The Indisputable Truth, Rangjung Yeshe Publications, Nepal, 1996 ISBN 9627341274
- Present Fresh Wakefulness: A Meditation Manual on Nonconceptual Wisdom , Rangjung Yeshe Publications, Nepal, 2002 ISBN 9627341479
- The Union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen, Rangjung Yeshe Publications, Nepal, 2006 ISBN 9627341215
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche with David R. Shlim, Medicine and Compassion: A Tibetan Lama's Guidance for Caregivers, Wisdom Publications, 2006 ISBN 0861715128
Visits to Rigpa Centres
- Rigpa London, 9 January 2010, 'The Three Great Views – Madhyamaka, Mahamudra and Dzogchen'
- Lerab Ling, 17-22 September 2009
- Lerab Ling, 17-23 August 2008
- Rigpa Amsterdam, 26 June 2007
- Rigpa London, 9 September 2003
- San Francisco, 15 July 2003
- Berkley, 1 July 2002
- San Francisco, 15-16 September 2001
- San Francisco, 5 September 2000
- San Francisco, 11-13 September 1998
- Lerab Ling, 24-26 August 1998
- Oakland, 29 August-1 September 1997
- Cologne, 18 September 1994
- Dzogchen Orgyen Chö Ling, London, 1981 with Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche