(Redirected from Guru yoga)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Guru Yoga (Skt. guruyoga; Tib. བླ་མའི་རྣལ་འབྱོར་, lamé naljor; Wyl. bla ma'i rnal 'byor) — the practice of merging one’s mind with the wisdom mind of the master. The practice consists of visualizing the guru (either in his own form or in the form of deity), requesting his blessings, receiving his blessings, and merging one's mind with the master's wisdom mind.
The Importance of Guru Yoga
Dudjom Rinpoche said:
- In particular, it is vital to put all your energy into the Guru Yoga, holding onto it as the life and heart of the practice. If you do not, then your meditation will be very dull, and even if you make a little progress, there will be no end to obstacles, and no possibility of true, genuine realization being born within the mind. Therefore by fervently praying with uncontrived devotion, after a while the direct blessing of the wisdom-mind of the lama will be transmitted, thereupon empowering you with a unique realisation, beyond words, born deep within your mind.
Important Teachings Given to the Rigpa Sangha
- Sogyal Rinpoche, Lerab Ling, Ngöndro Retreat, 13 July 2011
- Sogyal Rinpoche, videostreamed Winter Retreat, 5 January 2014
- Ringu Tulku Rinpoche, Rigpa Germany, online, 20 November and 14 December 2022: The Essence Of Guru Yoga - A Direct Way Of Connecting To Our Potential
- Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Guru Yoga: According to the Preliminary Practice of Longchen Nyingtik, Snow Lion, 1999
- Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, The Wish-Fulfilling Jewel, Shambhala, 1999
- Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang, A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher (Boston & London: Shambhala, 2004), Part Two, Chapter Six: 'The Profound Guru Yoga, the Ultimate Method for Arousing the Wisdom of Realization in One's Mind'.
- Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Heart of the Path—Seeing the Guru As Buddha (Wisdom Publications, 2009)
- Padmasambhava & Jamgön Kongtrul, The Light of Wisdom, Vol. Two, translated by Erik Pema Kunsang (Boudhanath: Rangjung Yeshe Publications, 1986-98), pages 76-80.
- Patrul Rinpoche, The Words of My Perfect Teacher (Boston: Shambhala, Revised edition, 1998), Part Two, Chapter Six: 'Guru Yoga, entrance-way for blessings, the ultimate method for arousing the wisdom of realization'.
- Guru Yoga chapter from Chökyi Drakpa's Nyingtik Ngöndro commentary.