Gyurme Tsewang Chokdrup
Gyurme Tsewang Chokdrup (Wyl. ‘gyur med tshe dbang mchog grub) aka Katok Getse Mahapandita (1761-1829) — an important Nyingma scholar from Katok Monastery who famously wrote a catalogue to the Nyingma Gyübum.
He was born in the Iron Snake year of the thirteenth calendrical cycle (1761) and recognized as an incarnation of Tsewang Trinlé, the nephew of Longsal Nyingpo (1625-1692). His teachers included Dodrupchen Kunzang Shenpen, Ngor Khenchen Palden Chökyong, Changkya Rolpé Dorje and Dzogchenpa Ati Tenpé Gyaltsen. Through his connection with the Derge royal family, he arranged for the printing of the Collection of Nyingma Tantras (Nyingma Gyübum) and the writings of Longchenpa and Jikmé Lingpa, and took responsibility for proofreading.
- His immediate incarnation, who was called Tsewang Rigdzin Gyatso, died quite young (1830?-1885?).
- The Third Getse Tulku, Gyurme Tenpa Namgyal, was born in 1886 and passed away in 1952.
- The Fourth Kathok Getse Rinpoche, Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen, was born in Tibet and was recognized as a tulku by His Holiness the Sixteenth Karmapa, Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö, and Adzom Gyalse Gyurme Dorje. He currently lives outside of Tibet and divides his time between Kathmandu, where he oversees a small retreat center in Pharping, India, and Bhutan. Getse Rinpoche shares an especially close relationship with H.H. the Dalai Lama.
- Jigme Lingpa and Getse Mahapandita Tsewang Chokdrub, Deity, Mantra and Wisdom: Development Stage Meditation in Tibetan Buddhist Tantra, translated by the Dharmachakra Translation Committee, Snow Lion, 2007
- Tomoko Makidono, "Ka˙ thog Dge rtse Mahāpaṇḍita’s Doxographical Position: The Great Madhyamaka of Other-Emptiness (gzhan stong dbu ma chen po)" in Indian International Journal of Buddhist Studies (IIJBS) vol. 12 (2011), pp. 77-119
- Tomoko Makidono, "The Turning of the Wheel of Mantrayāna Teachings in the Rnying ma rgyud ’bum dkar chag lha’i rnga bo che by Kaḥ thog Dge rtse Mahāpaṇḍita ’Gyur med tshe dbang mchog grub (149-186)" in IIJBS vol. 13 (2012), pp. 149-186