Namgyal Monastery (Tib. རྣམ་རྒྱལ་ Wyl. rnam rgyal) was founded by Gendün Gyatso (1476–1542), the Second Dalai Lama and given the name Phende Lekshé Ling (phan bde legs bsahd gling; Elegant Abode of Peace and Prosperity). It grew to great prominence during the time of the Fifth Dalai Lama Ngawang Lobsang Gyatso (1617–82), when it moved into the Potala Palace. In exile, it is located next to the Dalai Lama's residence in McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala. The current abbot is Thamtog Rinpoche. There is also a branch of Namgyal Monastery in Ithaca, New York.