Talk:Eight Manifestations of Guru Rinpoche
From Rigpa Wiki
- this list and the introductory paragraph needs to be referenced... where does this info come from?
- I have looked at 4 sources (Cornu, Kapstein, Trungpa & K. Palden Sherab) and none of them have Guru Tsokye Dorje in their list... So if Tsokye Dorje is really one of the eight manifestations, this needs to be a very reliable source... Three of them have Guru Orgyen Dorje Chang instead. This could mean of course that they're all using the same traditional source.
--Sébastien 15:07, 19 August 2011 (UTC)
- Iconographically Orgyen Dorje Chang is usually depicted with his hands crossed in front holding vajra and bell. Tsokye Dorje usually has one hand raised holding a vajra and the other holding a bell at his side. I wonder if some tangka images are mis-labelled or mis-identified as very often they make no distinction between the two. The set of tangkas we have of the eight manifestations includes one labelled Tsokye Dorje with the above-mentioned iconography.... I hope this doesn't add to the questions ......Tsondru - 19 August
- Tsokyé Dorje doesn't have a bell in his left hand but a skull-cup...--Sébastien 06:57, 20 August 2011 (UTC)
Thanks, Seb. I wonder now who the guy in blue at the top left of the tangka is? Tsondru.
- Some wood blocks used for the 8 manifestations that Pete has clearly name him as Orgyen Dorje Chang. But I'm still wondering if that form can have 2 names...--Sébastien 08:51, 21 August 2011 (UTC)