Drepung Monastery (Wyl. ‘bras spungs dgon pa) — one of the three great Gelugpa seats and the largest of Tibet's monasteries. Founded in 1416 by Jamyang Chöjé Tashi Pelden (1379-1449)—a direct disciple of Jé Tsongkhapa, the founder of the Gelug tradition, the monastery was later sub-divided into seven great colleges:
- Gyelwa or Tosamling,
- Dulwa, and
Before the Chinese invasion, it counted over 7,000 monks.