Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro
The Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro (Tib. བདུད་འཇོམས་གཏེར་གསར་སྔོན་འགྲོ་, Wyl. bdud 'joms gter gsar sngon 'gro) or 'Preliminary Practices of the New Treasures of Dudjom (Dudjom Tersar) is an abbreviated title for the ngöndro practice entitled Concise Recitation of the Preliminary Practices of the New Treasures of Dudjom (བདུད་འཇོམས་གཏེར་གསར་སྔོན་འགྲོའི་འདོན་བསྡུས་པ།, bdud 'joms gter gsar sngon 'gro'i ngag 'don bsdus pa). A longer ngöndro text by Dudjom Rinpoche, The Chariot of the Path of Union (zung 'jug lam gyi shing rta), is sometimes referred to as the 'medium-length' or 'extensive' Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro.
A terma practice composed and then concealed by Guru Rinpoche himself in the ninth century, the Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro was revealed by Dudjom Lingpa (1835-1904) as part of a pure vision cycle known as The Wisdom Net. Dudjom Lingpa's incarnation, Dudjom Jigdral Yeshé Dorje (1904-1987), known to us as Dudjom Rinpoche, later expanded and clarified the text and taught it widely.
Dudjom Rinpoche himself said of the Concise Recitation text:
- This is a concise recitation of the preliminary practices that clearly elucidates the essential meaning and is intended for those who do not understand or are unable to recite the extensive preliminary practices.
- Sogyal Rinpoche & Rigpa, Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro (Translation and Tibetan Script by Sogyal Rinpoche), London, 1976
- Mike Dickman, The Concise Recitation of the Preliminary Practices Related to the New Treasures of Düd'jom (bDud 'Joms gTer gSar sNgon 'gro), with an Accompanying Series of Prayers of Invocation and Auspiciousness'
- Thinley Norbu, "A Concise Recitation of the Preliminary Practices of the New Treasures of Düdjom" in A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar, Shambhala, 2006, pages 291-295
- Dudjom Rinpoche, Collected Works, Vol. 'a, pages 337-9
- zab gsang mkha' 'gro'i snying thig gi sngon 'gro'i ngag 'don zung 'jug lam gyi shing rta, Dudjom Rinpoche, Volume Pa, pages 1-23
- dag snang ye shes drwa ba
- Dudjom Rinpoche, Collected Works, Vol. 'a, p. 339
- Cathy Cantwell, 'Variations in Tibetan Buddhist Meditations on Deities: the Process of Generating Practices’, (Unpublished paper presented at UKABS conference), 2006
- Lama Tharchin, A Commentary on the Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro, the Preliminary Practices of the New Treasure of Dudjom, Corralitos, CA Vajrayana Foundation
- Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche, Commentary on Ngöndro Practice according to The New Treasure of Dudjom (trans. by Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche), 1999
- Thinley Norbu, A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar, Shambhala, 2006
- Jane Tromge, compiled from the teachings of H.E. Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche, Ngondro Commentary, Padma Publishing, 1995