Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche (b.1964) - The present Dzigar Kongtrul, Jigme Namgyel, was born in Northern India, shortly before the Tibetan community settlement at Bir was established by his father, the third Neten Chokling Rinpoche. When Rinpoche was just nine years old, his father passed away. Soon after this His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche recognized him as an emanation of Jamgön Kongtrul the Great and His Holiness the 16th Karmapa confirmed this. He was soon enthroned at Chokling Gompa in Bir.
Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche moved to the United States in 1989 with his family and began a five-year tenure as a professor of Buddhist philosophy at Naropa University (then Institute) in 1990. Not long after arriving in the United States, he founded Mangala Shri Bhuti, an organization dedicated to furthering the practice of the Longchen Nyingtik lineage. He established a mountain retreat centre, Longchen Jigme Samten Ling, in southern Colorado, where he spends much of his time in retreat and guides students in long-term retreat practice.
Kongtrul Rinpoche's root teacher was Dilgo Khyentsé Rinpoche, and he also studied extensively with Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche and the great scholar-yogin Khenpo Rinchen. His students include Pema Chödrön, the best-selling buddhist author. He is also an avid painter in the abstract expressionist tradition.
- It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path, Boston: Shambhala Publications, 2005
Sogyal Rinpoche said of this book:
- "An enthralling and practical book that speaks to us all with an exceptional clarity about confusion, uncertainty, and fear, about fearlessness and courage, and about awareness, joy, sanity, and freedom. A book which I cannot recommend highly enough."
- Light Comes Through: Buddhist Teachings on Awakening to our Natural Intelligence, Boston: Shambhala Publications, 2008
- Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, Lerab Ling, 2-17 June 2001
- Prayer for the Long Life of Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche