After meeting Rinpoche in Nepal in 1985, she became his first Western student. She has been intimately involved with Rinpoche’s work in bringing Buddhist wisdom to the West, in particular to the development of Mangala Shri Bhuti, an organization dedicated to the study and practice of the Longchen Nyingthig lineage. Elizabeth has an academic background in both Anthropology and Buddhist Studies, but her learning is also grounded in practice. After many years of solitary retreat, Rinpoche appointed Elizabeth as Retreat Master at Longchen Jigme Samten Ling, Mangala Shri Bhuti’s retreat center in southern Colorado. She has edited two of Rinpoche’s books, It’s Up to You and Light Comes Through and teaches the Buddhadharma in the United States and Europe.
Elizabeth delights in wrestling with difficult and juicy ‘koans’ that tend to plague modern day practitioners, while maintaining a deep respect for the tradition she comes from.
- The Power of An Open Question: The Buddha’s Path to Freedom (Boston: Shambhala Publications, 2010)
- The Logic of Faith: the Buddhist Path to Finding Certainty Beyond Belief and Doubt (Boulder: Shambhala Publications, 2018)
Upcoming Events in Rigpa Centres
- 6 June 2019, Dublin, Burning with Love in a World We Can’t Fix
- 7-9 June 2019, Dzogchen Beara, Claiming Agency for Our Own Awakening
- 12 & 13 June 2019, Rigpa London, Burning with Love in a World We Can’t Fix
- 15-16 June 2019, Pieter Nieuwland College, Amsterdam, Claiming Agency for Our Own Awakening
- 19-20 June, Valencia, Spain, The Mind of an Open Question
- 21-23 June 2019, Dharma Mati, Rigpa Berlin, The logic of trust: A Buddhist approach to certainty beyond belief and doubt
- 26-27 June 2019, Paris, 2 evening talks: Buddhism Explained Simply & Claiming Agency for Our Own Awakening
- 29-30 June 2019, Lerab Ling, 'Claiming Agency for Our Own Awakening
- 3-4 December 2019, Sydney, Australia
Teachings Given to the Rigpa Sangha
- Rigpa centre, Levallois, France, 7 May 2009: 'Embracing Complexity'
- Lerab Ling, France, 9 May 2009: 'The Student-Teacher Relationship'
- Rigpa London, UK, 13 May 2009: 'Fixing versus Healing'
- Rigpa London, UK, 9-10 October 2010: 'Beyond Doubt and Blind Acceptance'
- Rigpa centre, Levallois, France, 14 October 2010
- Rigpa NY City Centre, USA, 23 April 2014: 'Sacred World'