Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö Timeline
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö Timeline
- 1 Water Dragon 1892
- 2 Water Snake 1893 (birth, aged 1)
- 3 1899 (aged 7)
- 4 1901 (aged 9)
- 5 1905 (aged 13)
- 6 1906 (aged 14)
- 7 1909 (aged 17)
- 8 Metal Dog 1910 (aged 18)
- 9 1918 (aged 26)
- 10 1919 (aged 27)
- 11 1920 (aged 28)
- 12 1921 (aged 29)
- 13 Wood Ox 1925 (aged 33)
- 14 1937 (aged 45)
- 15 Water Horse 1942
- 16 Water Sheep 1943
- 17 Wood Monkey 1944
- 18 Wood Bird 1945 (53)
- 19 Fire Dog 1946 (54)
- 20 Fire Pig 1947 (55)
- 21 Earth Mouse 1948 (aged 56)
- 22 Earth Ox 1949 (aged 57)
- 23 Iron Tiger 1950 (aged 58)
- 24 Iron Hare 1951 (aged 59)
- 25 Water Dragon 1952 (aged 60)
- 26 Water Snake 1953 (aged 61)
- 27 Wood Horse 1954 (aged 62)
- 28 Wood Sheep 1955 (aged 63)
- 29 Fire Monkey 1956 (aged 64)
- 30 Fire Bird 1957 (aged 65)
- 31 Earth Dog 1958 (aged 66)
- 32 Earth Pig 1959 (aged 67)
- 33 Notes
Water Dragon 1892
Water Snake 1893 (birth, aged 1)
- Born in Rekhe Ajam, Sa-ngang County, in Nyarong, near Kathok Monastery. Son of the Nyingma master Rigdzin Gyurme Tsewang Gyatso and Tsultrim Tso.
1899 (aged 7)
- Recognized as the incarnation of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo's enlightened activity by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Tayé.
1901 (aged 9)
- Enthroned at Katok Monastery. He is known as Tulku Lodrö.
1905 (aged 13)
- Caring for his ailing tutor Khenpo Thubten Rigdzin, also the former tutor of Kathok Situ Rinpoche.
1906 (aged 14)
- Towards the end of the year: death of his tutor.
- Gathering funds for the Katok Monastery in Horkhok and Dzachukha.
- Meets the King of Ling; gives an elaborate commentary on the Gang Gi Lodrö.
- Meets Adzom Drukpa at Adzom Gar near Tromuk. Adzom Drukpa recognizes him as the true incarnation of Khyentse Wangpo.
1909 (aged 17)
- 17th day of the second month: death of Jamyang Chökyi Wangpo—the body incarnation of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and throne holder of Dzongsar—during a visit to Dzogchen Monastery.
- Dzongsar Monastery requests Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö to fill the vacant seat of Khyentse Wangpo at Dzongsar Tashi Lhatsé.
Metal Dog 1910 (aged 18)
- 25th day of the 1st month: birth of Jamyang Chökyi Wangchuk, later recognized as the incarnation of Jamyang Chökyi Wangpo.
- 3rd day of the 3rd month: birth of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, later recognized as the mind incarnation of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo.
1918 (aged 26)
- receives ordination at Dzogchen Monastery.
- Establishes Kham-jé Shedra at Dzongsar Monastery with Khenpo Shenga as the first head khenpo.
1919 (aged 27)
1920 (aged 28)
- Visits Dodrupchen Jikmé Tenpé Nyima and Tertön Sogyal in Golok to receive transmissions and teachings.
1921 (aged 29)
- First pilgrimage to Central Tibet, visiting Sakya Ngor, Lhasa and Mindroling.
- Tulku Thondup: When he was twenty-eight years old, Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö had spent many months with the Third Drodrupchen, Jigme Tenpe Nyima [1865-1926], receiving, amongst others, the empowerments of Rigdzin Düpa and Ladrup Thigle Gyachen, as well as teachings on Yeshe Lama and Longchen Nyingtik.
Wood Ox 1925 (aged 33)
- Kathok Situ Chökyi Gyatso passes into parinirvana.
- Goes to Lhasa for first time; visits Mindroling.
- 10th month: visits Neten Monastery.
1937 (aged 45)
- Gives the reading transmission of the Nyingma Gyübum and of the Treasury of Precious Termas to Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche in Dzongsar.
Water Horse 1942
Water Sheep 1943
Wood Monkey 1944
Wood Bird 1945 (53)
- Gives the empowerments and transmissions of the Treasury of Precious Termas to about a hundred students in Dzongsar. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Shechen Rabjam, Katok Situ, Pewar Rinpoche, and other important tulkus were present.
Fire Dog 1946 (54)
- Gives the Treasury of Precious Instructions in Dzongsar. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Shechen Gyaltsap's reincarnation and Pewar Rinpoche were present.
Fire Pig 1947 (55)
Earth Mouse 1948 (aged 56)
- Suffers serious illness and fulfills the prophecy of taking a sangyum to prolong his life. He marries Khandro Tsering Chödrön (b.1929) of the Lakar family. [check if 1948 or 1949]
Earth Ox 1949 (aged 57)
Iron Tiger 1950 (aged 58)
- Sogyal Rinpoche goes to live with JKCL at Dzongsar, where he treats him as his own son. JKCL recognizes him as the incarnation of Tertön Sogyal.
Iron Hare 1951 (aged 59)
Water Dragon 1952 (aged 60)
Water Snake 1953 (aged 61)
Wood Horse 1954 (aged 62)
- Spring of 1954: gives the Compendium of Sadhanas to more than 70 students in the empowerment room of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, The Joyful Grove of Immortal Accomplishment. In the assembly hall of Dzongsar he gave the Collection of a Hundred Sadhanas (Wyl. sgrub thabs brgya rtsa) to more than 400 people.
- In the summer of the same year, the Sakya Dagchen of the Phuntsok Podrang comes to Dzongsar to receive Lamdré and Compendium of Sadhanas from Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö. He also gives a major Hevajra empowerment and many other special Sakya teachings. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche and Pewar Rinpoche are present.
Wood Sheep 1955 (aged 63)
- Leaves secretly to go on pilgrimage to Central Tibet
- Meets with His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama in Lhasa
- Meets with the Sixteenth Karmapa in Tsurphu.
- Visits Reting
- 4th month: composes Nyingtik Saldrön guru yoga at request of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche and Princess Yudrön.
Fire Monkey 1956 (aged 64)
- 1st month: Tsurphu
- 2nd month: Mindroling
- 3rd month: Samye Chimpu
- 7th month: Lhodrak
- 10th month: Bodhgaya, Ganges, Magadha
- 11th month: Nepal
- 12th month: Nepal
Fire Bird 1957 (aged 65)
- Sikkim (arrives at night in Gangtok from North Sikkim, according to Semo-la).
- Celebrates Losar with H.H. Sakya Trizin's party on their way back from India to Sakya.
- In the Month of Miracles, in the Palace Monastery in Gangtok, gives empowerments of Lama Yangtik, Rigdzin Düpa, Palchen Düpa and Yumka Dechen Gyalmo, and teaches on the Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro.
- 10th month Tso Pema
- 11th month
- 12th month
- Went to Tashiding during Fire Bird
Earth Dog 1958 (aged 66)
- 4th-7th month Darjeeling
- Teaches the Kunzang Lama'i Shelung at the Buthanese Monastery in Kalimpong for seven days - without ever looking at the text (SR 19970726)
- July and August 1958: Dhongthog Rinpoche visits JKCL in Darjeeling. From the 19th to the 23rd of the 6th Tibetan month, he received teachings on the mantrayana vows chapter of the Dom Sum Rabyé, and on the 25th he received a lung for the pratimoksha chapter, and for the Chanting the Names of Manjushri. He requested a heart advice, and JKCL composed The Beautiful Precious Garland: Words of Advice for Self and Others.
Earth Pig 1959 (aged 67)
- Parinirvana on 6th day of the 5th month, the 12th June 1959.
- cremation at Tashi Jong, Sikkim. Ceremonies are led by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
- According to Tibetan custom, during the first months of a person's life, that person is considered to be one year old, until the next Tibetan New Year (Losar), when they turn two. This timeline reflects this Tibetan custom.
- According to Pewar Rinpoche. Further reading: Brilliant Moon, pages 277-278.
- According to Pewar Rinpoche. Further reading: Brilliant Moon, page 278.
- According to both Phugpa and Tsurphu Tibetan calendars. Information from www.kalachakra.org .