Lama Ling aka Zangdok Palri Monastery , the ‘Glorious Copper-Color Mountain Monastery’, in Kongpo, was Dudjom Rinpoche’s main seat in Tibet before he left to India.
According to traditional Tibetan geomancy and the astrological earth chart, Kongpo Buchu is one of the acupuncture points of the country. So in the seventh century, King Songtsen Gampo built a temple on this point in Kongpo, as well as on many others, to restore and rebalance the earth energy. Subsequently, Guru Rinpoche and a number of other great masters and tertön restored these temples over the years.
For the same reason, Dudjom Rinpoche came to settle in Kongpo in the 1930’s, propageted the Dudjom Tersar lineage there, and proceeded to established five dharma centers all situated very close one to each other:
- Dechen Teng, the principal temple
- Sangchen Osel Namdröling, for the ordained sangha
- Lama Ling, which served mainly ngagpas retreatants and lay practitioners
- Rigdzin Gatsal Ling, which was named afer his first wife, Sangyum Kusho Tseten Yudron, and served as the residence and personal retreat center for Dudjom Rinpoche and his wife
- Zangdok Palri Monastery, on a small hill nearby named Jewel Mountain (Norbu Rii)
In the late 1940’s, Zangdok Palri Monastery was damaged by earthquakes. Dudjom Rinpoche nevertheless continued to bury treasure vases, build stupas, and do ceremonies to restore and balance the earth energetic points.
During the unrest, Lama Ling was damaged. But when in due time, Semo Dechen Yudron, the eldest daughter of Dudjom Rinpoche and Sangyum Kusho Tseten Yudron, took care of Lama Ling with her husband Chonyi Rinpoche, and restored the temple.
- Zangdok Palri Monastery is named after Guru Rinpoche’s pure lane.