Thirty-seven factors of enlightenment
The thirty-seven factors of enlightenment (Wyl. byang chub kyi phyogs kyi chos sum cu rtsa bdun) are thirty-seven practices undertaken and perfected at specific stages of the first four of the five paths and present thereafter as qualities of enlightenment.
They are as follows:
- 1-4) four applications of mindfulness
- 5-8) four genuine restraints
- 9-12) four bases of miraculous powers
- 13-17) five powers
- 18-22) five strengths
- 23-29) seven elements for enlightenment
- 30-37) noble eightfold path
- Kangyur Rinpoche, Treasury of Precious Qualities (Boston & London: Shambhala, 2001), 'Appendix 6'.