- Vi is short for vishesa, which means ‘special’, ‘superior’, or ‘particular’.
- Pashyana , means ‘to see’ or ‘to look’.
- Lhak is ‘unique’ and
- tong is ‘seeing’.
So, it means ‘to look at things in a very direct and especially clear way’.
Prerequisites for Vipashyana
- Reliance upon a spiritual teacher
- Genuinely engaging in extensive study
- Appropriate reflection
- intense insight (Dharma Publishing)
Teachings Given to the Rigpa Sangha
- View: The Rigpa Journal, July 2010, 'Shamatha and Vipashyana', a teaching by Kyabjé Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, pages 18-22.