The four reliances (Tib. Tönpa shyi; rton pa bzhi)
1. Rely on the message of the teacher, not on his personality;
2. Rely on the meaning, not just on the words;
3. Rely on the real meaning, not on the provisional one;
4. Rely on your wisdom mind, not on your ordinary, judgemental mind.
See Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, chapter nine.
1. Do not rely on individuals, rely on the teachings;
2. Do not rely on the words, rely on the meaning;
3. Do not rely on the provisional meaning rely on the definitive meaning;
4. Do not rely on intellectual knowledge, rely on wisdom.