Kalzang Monastery (Tib. བསྐལ་བཟང་དགོན་པ་, Wyl. bskal bzang dgon pa) was founded by Nyala Pema Dündul in the centre of Nyarong in 1860. During the consecration, Nyala Pema had seen a vision of all the thousand buddhas of this aeon, the ‘Good Kalpa’ or ‘Fortunate Age’, dissolving into the site. So he named the monastery Kalzang Sangyé Chöling, “Dharma Sanctuary of the One Thousand Buddhas of the Fortunate Age”. In time, Kalzang Gonpa became the seat of Tertön Sogyal, and with the assistance of the Thirteenth Dalai Lama, he expanded the monastery and filled it with many sacred images and scriptures.
- Shes rab 'od zer & byang chub rgya mtsho, shar rgyal ba bskal bzang dgon gyi byung ba rags bsdus, si khron mi rigs dpe skrun khang, 1996
- 'On an Island of Wish-fulfilling Jewels' in Rigpa Journal, January 2000, pages 54-59
- Matteo Pistono. In the Shadow of the Buddha: Secret Journeys, Sacred Histories, and Spiritual Discovery in Tibet, Dutton, 2011. ISBN 978-0525951193