The Shangpa Kagyü (Wyl. shangs pa bka' brgyud) school was founded by Khyungpo Naljor (1002-1064) who was prophesied by the Buddha. He made his seat in a place called Shang in the Tsang region of Tibet. He was therefore known as the Lama Shangpa and his lineage the Shangpa Kagyü. Thangtong Gyalpo and Jetsün Taranatha were among the great masters who upheld this lineage, which is one of the Eight practice lineages. Kalu Rinpoche and Bokar Rinpoche were the recent heads of this school, and founded a great number of centres in the West.