Five examples which illustrate the benefits of bodhichitta, from Shantideva’s Bodhicharyavatara, and further elucidated in Khenpo Kunpal’s commentary, The Nectar of Manjushri’s Speech.
- The example of alchemy to illustrate that bodhichitta transforms something bad―this ordinary human body―into something good―the body of a Buddha.
- The example of a jewel to illustrate the supreme benefit and preciousness of bodhichitta.
- The example of a miraculous fruit-bearing tree to illustrate bodhichitta’s inexhaustible and ever-increasing virtues.
- The example of an heroic bodyguard to illustrate that by entrusting oneself to bodhichitta, negativity and its fruition will be eliminated.
- The example of fire at the end of time to illustrate how bodhichitta consumes and purifies all extreme negativities.