Guhyagarbha Tantra (Skt.; Tib. Gyü Sangwé Nyingpo; Wyl. rgyud gsang ba'i snying po) The Essence of Secrets Tantra — the main tantra of the Mahayoga. For centuries, detailed study of its root verses and many celebrated commentaries, including Longchenpa's Trilogy of Dispelling Darkness, Dodrupchen Jikmé Tenpé Nyima's Key to the Precious Treasury and Mipham Rinpoche's Essence of Clear Light, has been the key to understanding the Vajrayana’s most prominent themes and practices, such as empowerment, samaya, mantra recitation and the use of mandalas.
- Vilasavajra, Guhyagarbhamahātantrarājatīkā (Skt; Wyl. dpal gsang ba snying po'i 'grel pa rin po che'i spar khab)
- Rongzom Chökyi Zangpo, The Jewel Commentary (Wyl. dkon mchog 'grel or dkon cog 'grel)
- Longchen Rabjam, Trilogy of Dispelling Darkness, (Wyl. mun sel skor gsum)
- Lochen Dharmashri, Oral Instructions of the Lord of Secrets
- Ornament of the Wisdom Mind of the Lord of Secrets
- Mipham Rinpoche, Essence of Clear Light (Wyl. 'od gsal snying po)
- Dodrupchen Jikmé Tenpé Nyima, Key to the Precious Treasury (Wyl. mdzod kyi lde mig)
- Jamgön Mipham, Luminous Essence, A Guide to the Guhyagarbha Tantra, Dharmachakra Translation Committee (Snow Lion, 2009)
- Dodrupchen Jikmé Tenpé Nyima, Key to the Precious Treasury, Light of Berotsana Translation, forthcoming.
- Mipham Rinpoche, Essence of Clear Light, Light of Berotsana Translation, forthcoming.
- Longchen Rabjam, Dispelling Darkness in the Ten Directions, Light of Berotsana Translation, forthcoming.
Teachings on the Guhyagarbha Tantra
These teachings have been given several times to the Rigpa Sangha, including:
- Khenpo Petse Rinpoche, Lerab Ling, 1997, using Mipham Rinpoche's Essence of Clear Light commentary.
- Khenpo Namdrol, Lerab Ling, 2003-2006, using Dodrupchen Jikmé Tenpé Nyima's Key to the Precious Treasury commentary.
- Nathaniel DeWitt Garson, Penetrating the Secret Essence Tantra: Context and Philosophy in the Mahāyoga System of rNying-ma Tantra, unpublished PhD dissertation, University of Virginia, 2004
- Ringu Tulku, The Ri-me Philosophy of Jamgön Kongtrul the Great, Shambhala Publications, 2006, pp. 75-79