Sum Dzong Gön
Sum Dzong Gön was founded in 1465 by Jangchub Gyaltsen as he unified three smaller monasteries into a single institution.
The monastic body comprised of 134 monks and had two temples, with a statue of Buddha Maitreya as a centerpiece.
The main practices of Sum Dzong Gön were those of the Gelugpa tradition.
- A map of the early 20th century shows the spelling “Sum Dzong”. The spelling is Sum Dzom in ‘Phurbu rdo rje (1988), sPo bo lo rgyus, Lhasa: Bod ljongs mi dmangs dpe skrun khang’.
- Emeric Yeshe Dorje, The History of the Düdjom Tersar, forthcoming.
- Phurbu rdo rje (1988), sPo bo lo rgyus, History of Powo, Lhasa: Bod ljongs mi dmangs dpe skrun khang.