Eight Verses of Training the Mind
From Rigpa Wiki
- By thinking of all sentient beings
- As more precious than a wish-fulfilling jewel
- For accomplishing the highest aim,
- I will always hold them dear.
- Whenever I’m in the company of others,
- I will regard myself as the lowest among all,
- And from the depths of my heart
- Cherish others as supreme.
- In my every action, I will watch my mind,
- And the moment destructive emotions arise,
- I will confront them strongly and avert them,
- Since they will hurt both me and others.
- Whenever I see ill-natured people,
- Or those overwhelmed by heavy misdeeds or suffering,
- I will cherish them as something rare,
- As though I’d found a priceless treasure.
- Whenever someone out of envy
- Does me wrong by attacking or belittling me,
- I will take defeat upon myself,
- And give the victory to others.
- Even when someone I have helped,
- Or in whom I have placed great hopes
- Mistreats me very unjustly,
- I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher.
- In brief, directly or indirectly,
- I will offer help and happiness to all my mothers,
- And secretly take upon myself
- All their hurt and suffering.
- I will learn to keep all these practices
- Untainted by thoughts of the eight worldly concerns.
- May I recognize all things as like illusions,
- And, without attachment, gain freedom from bondage.
- Dge bshes 'Chad ka ba, blo sbyong tshigs rkang brgyad ma lo rgyus dang bcas pa
- Thu’u bkan Blo bzang chos kyi nyi ma, Blo sbyong tshigs brgyad ma’i khrid yig gces ‘dzin gdon ‘joms byangs sems chu rgyun
Translations & Contemporary Commentaries
- Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche. In Dragpa, Chökyi. Uniting Wisdom and Compassion. Translated by Heidi I. Köppl (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2004)
- Dalai Lama. The Union of Bliss and Emptiness (Ithaca: Snow Lion Publications, 1988)
- Dalai Lama, His Holiness. Transforming the Mind (London: Thorsons, 2000)
- Dalai Lama, His Holiness. The Heart of Compassion: A Practical Approach to a Meaningful Life (Lotus Press, 2002), Chapter 23
- Dalai Lama, His Holiness and Rajiv Mehrotra. In My Own Words: An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy (Hay House, 2008), Chapter 8
- Dalai Lama, Lighting the Way (Ithaca: Snow Lion Publications, 2005)
- Dalai Lama, His Holiness. Kindness, Clarity and Insight (Ithaca: Snow Lion, 2006)
- Jinpa, Thupten. Mind Training: The Great Collection (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2006): contains translations of the root text and Geshe Chekawa's commentary
- Geshe Rabten, Gonsar Tenzin Khedup and Lobsang Kalden. In His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama, Four Essential Buddhist Commentaries (Dharamsala: Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, 1982)
- Sermey Khensur Lobsang Tharchin, The Essence of Mahayana Lojong Practice: An Oral Commentary to Geshe Langri Tangpa's Mind Training in Eight Verses. Mahayana Sutra & Tantra Pr., 1997
- Sonam Rinchen, Geshe. Eight Verses for Training the Mind. Translated by Ruth Sonam (Ithaca: Snow Lion, 2001, revised 2006)
- Tashi Tsering, Geshe. The Awakening Mind: The Foundation of Buddhist Thought (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2008)
- Thurman, Robert A. F.. Essential Tibetan Buddhism. Harper Collins. 1995
- Tsultrim Gyaltsen, Geshe. Compassion: The Key to Great Awakening (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 1997)
Oral Teachings Given to the Rigpa Sangha
- Sogyal Rinpoche, Hombroich, May 2001
- Sogyal Rinpoche, San Francisco, June 2001
- Sogyal Rinpoche, Geneva, June 2005
- Ling Choktrul Rinpoche, Paris Rigpa centre, Levallois, 12 October 2005
- Kyabjé Trulshik Rinpoche, Lerab Ling, 11 December 2005
- Sogyal Rinpoche, Kirchheim, January 2006
- Sogyal Rinpoche, London, January 2006
- Sogyal Rinpoche, San Diego, 29 November-2 December 2012
- Sogyal Rinpoche, Sydney, 29 March-1 April 2013
- Alak Zenkar Rinpoche, Haileybury Retreat, UK, 8 April 2013
- Sogyal Rinpoche, Myall Lakes, Australia, 21 & 24 January 2015
- Ling Choktrul Rinpoche, Sydney Rigpa centre, Australia, 27 April 2016
- Eight Verses of Training the Mind
- Greater than a Wish-Fulfilling Jewel: on the translation of the first of the Eight Verses
- Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama at dalailama.com
- Commentary on the Eight Verses of Thought Transformation by His Holiness the Dalai Lama at Dharamsala, India, 1981. The Archive of the FPMT
- Translation and Commentaries at Berzin Archives