Sum Dzong Gön

From Rigpa Wiki
Revision as of 14:15, 17 March 2021 by Yeshedorje (talk | contribs) (Created page with "thumb|350px|View of Sum Dzong Gön '''Sum Dzong Gön''' aka '''Sum Dzong Gön Tashi Chöling''' (Tib. གསུམ་ཛོམས་དགོན་བཀ...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Sum Dzong.
View of Sum Dzong Gön

Sum Dzong Gön aka Sum Dzong Gön Tashi Chöling (Tib. གསུམ་ཛོམས་དགོན་བཀྲ་ཤིས་ཆོས་གླིང་, Wyl. gsum ‘dzoms dgon bkra shis chos gling) is a Geluk monastery of Powo.[1].

Location

Sum Dzong Gön is located in the township of Sum Dzong, in the south-eastern part of Powo, on the banks of the Parlung Tsangpo.[2]

Foundation

Sum Dzong Gön was founded in 1465 by Jangchub Gyaltsen as he unified three smaller monasteries into a single institution.

Description

The monastic body comprised of 134 monks and had two temples, with a statue of Buddha Maitreya as a centerpiece.

Developments

The monks of Sum Dzong Gön used to deepen their study in Ganden Jangtse, one of the one of the two main colleges of Ganden Monastery, and in Sera Mé.[3]

Main practices

The main practices of Sum Dzong Gön were those of the Gelugpa tradition.

Notes

  1. A map of the early 20th century shows the spelling “Sum Dzong”. The spelling is Sum Dzom in ‘Phurbu rdo rje (1988), sPo bo lo rgyus, Lhasa: Bod ljongs mi dmangs dpe skrun khang’.
  2. Emeric Yeshe Dorje, The History of the Düdjom Tersar, forthcoming.
  3. Phurbu rdo rje (1988), sPo bo lo rgyus, [History of Powo]], Lhasa: Bod ljongs mi dmangs dpe skrun khang.

Internal Links